Wednesday, March 19, 2014

WIP Wednesday!



So props for this post go to my amazing #FearlessFive pal, Jenni. I first saw "Works In Progress Wednesday" on Jenni's blog, and thought, Holy cow. If I had a blog I would so be doing that! Well I have blog now, so what the hey. I'd love to tell you about the stories fighting over the space in my head.




Name: GILDED FEVER (YA Historical)
Word Count: 80,000
Status: Querying
Cuy's Thoughts: This story has been on my mind every day for months. I finished Gilded Fever's last round of edits in January, and ever since it's been like taking my kid to the talent agency and showing her off in hopes that one day they make her a star. I know that published authors say over and over again that the road to getting published is paved with rejections, but it still hurts every time I get that little letter that says, "Thanks, but this one's not for me." Thankfully my pathetic pouting is, for the most part, short-lived, as my lovely little WIP is garnishing partial and full requests as well. Looks like Gilded Fever and I will continue to wait for our perfect "Author-Agent" match made in Heaven. Until then, I will go eat lots of chocolate.


Name: ENKINDLE (YA Fantasy)
Current Word Count: 1,513
Status: Newborn
Cuy's Thoughts: So I've been planning this YA Fantasy for a few months now. And last night was the first time I put the idea into words. What's funny is, at the time, I hadn't sat down to write this story. I'd cleared my evening to put some time writing an MG Fantasy I had percolating in my mind. So here I was writing the beginning pages of what was going to be the greatest MG adventure of all time, and then all of a sudden everything went haywire. What was meant to be a funny-yet-adventurous-and-magical tale turned into something dark and something very not MG. Seriously, there were guns and everything involved. Obviously, my brain had decided TO HECK WITH  the childhood adventure and just full on kill someone instead.

My brain in the form of Bela Lugosi:



It was like the YA part of my mind had suckerpunched the MG part right out and assumed full reign. So I scrapped the dark and twisted MG, and wrote the most killer first chapter I have ever seen. ENKINDLE is going to be one heck of a thrill ride!

***

So that's what's going on in my head right now. Thanks for stopping by, and I'll understand if you now need therapy after your visit here.

Later!


No comments:

Post a Comment